Kettle car, Deutz, 720 7 054-7, gray, DR, Ep IV, DC
Prototype
Even before the outbreak of World War II, the authorities
recognized a significant need for tank cars for flammable liquids
to secure supplies. The development was guided by the economical
use of raw materials. Westwaggon in Cologne-Deutz developed a type
under this guideline that did not have a separate underframe, where
the end pieces were welded to the tank. Approximately 2000 units of
the two-axle design, referred to as Deutzer Bauart after the
developer's headquarters, were produced between 1941 and 1944.
While the vehicles of the first series were delivered to private
owners, military entities, such as the Luftwaffe, received the
lion's share of subsequent deliveries. After World War II, the
private cars remained with the successor companies of the oil
associations, while the state-owned cars were transferred in 1951
to the Vereinigte Tanklager und Transportmittel GmbH VTG, founded
on November 5, 1951. Private operators such as Shell, ESSO, ARAL,
or Texaco in West Germany also used the Deutzer cars until the end
of Ep IV. Many DR cars were rented to mineral oil companies.
Several cars also remained abroad after World War II. By around
1990, the last examples were retired from service.
Model
• Scale model of the lightweight tank car with a capacity of 30
m³
• Running boards or walkways made from etched parts
• Various separately applied fittings
• Prototype-accurate dimensions for railings and grab bars made
from durable plastic
• Epoch-appropriate design of the nameplates
• Profiled wheels on both sides
• Car weight 48 g for optimal running characteristics
• Axle tip bearing in metal bearings for smooth operation
• Coupling with non-magnetic hook in a guide-controlled standard
pocket
• Minimum radius = 360 mm
• Length over buffers = 101.2 mm
...