The DRG Class ET 85 was a series of electric railcars developed for
suburban passenger services around Munich and later operated by the
Deutsche Bundesbahn in southern Germany. The origins of the class
date back to 1924, when four Bavarian MCCi steam railcars were
rebuilt by Waggonfabrik Fuchs in Heidelberg as electric railcars.
Initially numbered D4i elT 701–704 and later elT 1101–1104, these
vehicles became ET 85 01–04 under the Deutsche Reichsbahn’s
standardized classification system.
Following the successful conversions, the Deutsche Reichsbahn
ordered 32 newly built railcars based on the same concept.
Constructed between 1927 and 1932/33 by Waggonfabrik Fuchs and MAN,
with electrical equipment supplied by Brown, Boveri & Cie. (BBC),
they were eventually numbered ET 85 05–36. Unlike the four
converted prototypes, which retained wooden bodies, the production
vehicles were built with steel bodies.
The ET 85 was a single-phase AC electric railcar designed for the
German 15 kV 16⅔ Hz overhead system. The powered vehicles had a
Bo′2′ axle arrangement, with two traction motors mounted in the
powered bogie. Electrical equipment, including the transformer and
switchgear, occupied a machinery compartment behind one of the
driver’s cabs. The railcars developed a continuous output of
approximately 500 kW, with an hourly rating of 550 kW, and normally
had a maximum speed of 75 km/h. ET 85 05 and ET 85 09 were
temporarily equipped for operation at up to 100 km/h.
The railcars were normally operated with matching ES 85 driving
trailers and EB 85 intermediate trailers. A total of 34 driving
trailers were built, eventually numbered ES 85 01–34. The original
EB 85 intermediate vehicles were converted from 70 three-axle
Bavarian passenger coaches and numbered EB 85 01–70. This
combination allowed the ET 85 to operate as a push-pull electric
train suitable for intensive suburban and regional passenger
services.
The first ET 85 railcars were based at München Hbf and initially
worked services from Munich towards Starnberg and Herrsching. The
class subsequently became closely associated with Munich suburban
traffic. After the Second World War, 24 ET 85 railcars were taken
over by the Deutsche Bundesbahn. In addition to Munich-area
services, they were later used on routes in southern Germany
including the Dreiseenbahn and Wehratalbahn in the Black Forest and
the Bad Aibling–Feilnbach branch.
Several vehicles underwent temporary or permanent modifications. In
1956, ET 85 05, 11 and 19 received first-class accommodation and
were renumbered ET 65 101–103, but the modification and renumbering
were reversed in 1960. A more substantial derivative appeared in
1949–1950, when ET 85 13, 14 and 16 were converted for
steep-gradient operation and became ET 90 01–03. These vehicles
were primarily associated with the Königsseebahn between
Berchtesgaden and Königssee and were later designated DB Class
490.
With the introduction of the Deutsche Bundesbahn’s
computer-compatible numbering system in 1968, the remaining ET 85
powered cars became Class 485. Their driving trailers were
incorporated into Class 885, while the replacement three-axle
intermediate trailers were numbered in the 885.8 series. The ET 85
family remained in service until 1977, giving the design a working
life of more than half a century from the conversion of the first
vehicles.
One complete example of the powered type survives: former ET 85 07,
later DB 485 007, together with driving trailer ES 85 15, later 885
615. The vehicles are preserved as representatives of one of the
pioneering electric railcar designs used in southern Germany.