Romania: Class 40

Also known as: 060-EA

UIC / EVN numbering: 91 53 0 400

Railway companies: CFR - Romanian Railways, SNTFC - National Company for Railway Passenger Transportation (CFR Travelers)

Display technical details
Display registration numbers

When the time came for CFR to choose an electric locomotive for the electrified mainline Bucharest-Brasov, it organised an international bidding. The offers from the main European builders followed:
- Alstom: 2 electric engines with center cab type Bo’-Bo’ (BB 12.131 & BB 12.141);
- Skoda: the prototype of an electric locomotive type Bo’-Bo’ (a similar class was already produced for Bulgarian railways (BDZ class E 41);
- VEB Lokomotivbau Elektrotechnische Werke “Hans Beimler”: one prototype of Co’-Co’ engines (the basis of the 15 locomotives class E251 of Detusche Reichsbahn - DR);
- ASEA: 2 locomotives built for Swedish Railways (SJ) type Bo’-Bo’ (class Rb 1, n° 1001 and 1002).

The test rounds started on the Brasov-Predeal section on June 9, 1963. The comparative tests were done by pulling freight trains of different tonnage between Brasov and Predeal. The tests ran for 2 weeks and did not result in a clear decision in favor of any of the participants. But the newest designs and commercial incentives offered by ASEA made their locomotive to be the chosen prototype.

In April 1964 the contract was signed between CFR and ASEA for delivery of first 10 complete locomotives and of the electric aparatus for another 28 locomotives that were to be built in Romania under the license from ASEA.

The locomotive ordered by CFR was different from the Rb 1 prototype: it was on 6 axles (Co’-Co’) with maximum power of 5400 kW and rheostatic braking.

1960

December 27th

After this date, the electrification works continue at a fast pace.

On December 9, 1965, the first ASEA electric locomotive, type 060-EA, brought from Sweden, carried out the test race between Braşov and Predeal, which marks the completion of the technological tests, and the commercial commissioning.

In 1966 (on April 20) the electrification of the Predeal-Câmpina section was completed, in 1967 the Câmpina-Ploieşti Vest section was completed. Also this year, the first electric locomotive 060-EA came out of the gates of the "Electroputere" factories, and on February 16, 1969, the first train towed by an electric locomotive arrived in Bucharest, once the electrification of the Ploieşti Vest-Chitila-Bucharest North line was completed.

With the electrification of the Brasov-Predeal line, the problem of building a new building of Predeal Station arose. A bold project was approached, a building on 3 levels, with glass surfaces, which will be inaugurated on December 25, 1968. The station in Predeal is at an altitude of 1000 m, being the highest point reached by CFR. Under its platform are the natural springs of the Prahova River.

1964

April

In April 1964 the contract was signed between CFR and ASEA for delivery of first 10 complete locomotives and of electric apparatus for another 28 locomotives that were to be built in Romania, under ASEA license. The Romanian company chosen for production of mechanical and electrical parts and the general assembly was Electroputere Craiova, as it was already the producer of the 2100 HP diesel-electric locomotive 060-DA for CFR.

The locomotive ordered by CFR was different from the Rb 1 prototype: it was on 6 axles (Co'-Co' vs. Bo'-Bo' of Rb1) with maximum power of 5400 kW and rheostatic braking. On the other hand, the electrical part was typical of ASEA: a.c.-d.c. conversion with silicone diodes and high voltage configuration for the electric traction motors.

Locomotives were delivered with symmetric pantographs ASEA type LLXJN 135, pneumatically operated.

Sources: "060-EA locomotive - 40 years from the first electric locomotive produced in Romania" (2010 - Mircea Dorobantu), http://www.le-rail.ch/text/projekt52.htm, https://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000006&id=3647&action=dview, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroputere_LE5100

1965

The first locomotive, registered 060-EA-001, is delivered at the end of 1965 and the first trials start on December 9th.

In 1966, 8x new locomotives are delivered:
- 7x units registered 060-EA-001 to 008 have the maximum speed of 120 km/h;
- 1x unit, delivered as 060-EA-009, has a maximum speed of 160 km/h and will be classified as 060-EA1 (later on Class 41), as it will be the case for all electric locomotives from this series capable of reaching this maximum speed.

One year later, in 1967, the last unit from the initial batch is delivered with an experimental electric apparatus different from the other units and is registered as Class 060-EB.

Concerns registration number(s): 060-EA-001, 060-EA-002, 060-EA-003, 060-EA-004, 060-EA-005, 060-EA-006, 060-EA-007, 060-EA-008, 060-EA-009

Sources: "060-EA locomotive - 40 years from the first electric locomotive produced in Romania" (2010 - Mircea Dorobantu)

1967

Between 1967 and 1994, Electroputere Craiova delivered 1082 units:
- 932 units for CFR (Romanian railways);
- 103 units for JZ (Yugoslavian railways);
- 45 units for BDZ (Bulgarian railways);
- 2 prototypes for China railways.

Sources: "060-EA locomotive - 40 years from the first electric locomotive produced in Romania" (2010 - Mircea Dorobantu)

1969

February 15th

Locomotive 060-EA-021 - the first passenger trains pulled by an electric locomotives leaves the Bucharest Nord railway station for Brasov, inaugurating the electrification of the Bucharest - Brasov line.

1976

Initially, all locomotives were delivered with symmetric pantographs.

1976

060-EA-247, delivered to Brasov depot in the spring of 1976, was the first 060-EA locomotive to be fitted with asymmetric pantographs as an experiment.

The following units (060-EA-248 to 266) were still delivered with the initial symmetric pantographs and only starting with unit 060-EA-267 the use of asymmetric pantographs was generalised.

1988

Unit 40-0550-0 is completely destroyed during a fire in Copșa Mică (Romania) in 1988. Following this accident, unit 40-0016-2 will receive registration 40-0550-02.

Concerns registration number(s): 40-0016-2, 40-0550-0

Sources: http://cfristoriesicotidian.ro/istoria-locomotivelor-partea-2/

1990

August 21st

In the morning of August 21st, 1990, pulling the R24 fast train on Sighisoara - Brasov section, between stations Augustin and Apata, locomotive 060-EA-001 hits head-on the switching engine 040-DHC-601 belonging to Augustin station. Both the driver and the helper of the switcher are killed and both locomotives destroyed.

In 1991, as a tribute to 060-EA-001, it is initially intended to move the number plates and re-number unit 060-EB-001, at the time being reconfigured as a Class 41 electric locomotive by Electroputere Craiova, but finally this unit enters service at Brasov depot with registration 41-0931-0.

Another locomotive, unit 41-0931-0 (the before last new locomotive to be delivered by Electroputere Craiova to Romanian State Railways - CFR in 1991) receives at Brasov depot the registration plates 41-0001-2 (the locomotive is spotted in 1994 in Brasov railway station ).

After a few years, registration 41-0001-2 will be re-attributed to unit 41-0009-5 (initially registered 060-EA-009, the 9th unit from the first batch of 10x units delivered by ASEA between 1965 and 1967) as the registration numbers are switched between the two locomotives.

Sources: "060-EA locomotive - 40 years from the first electric locomotive produced in Romania" (2010 - Mircea Dorobantu), https://trenuletz.forumz.ro/t1048p105-060-ea-001

1999

Starting in 1999, 24 locomotives from Class 40 and Class 41 series are modernised at Electroputere Craiova in collaboration with Siemens. The modernised locomotives are registered as Class 45.

Sources: "060-EA locomotive - 40 years from the first electric locomotive produced in Romania" (2010 - Mircea Dorobantu)

2000

Around the year 2000, locomotive 40-0079 was converted to run on 15 kV 16.7 Hz AC current for the German railway network and was sold to KEG - Karsdorfer Eisenbahngesellschaft where it got designation KEG 7001.

2016

After being sold to KEG - Karsdorfer Eisenbahngesellschaft and registered as KEG 7001 and afterwards to STAB - Svensk Tågkraft from Sweden where it was designated as EL 5100.001, 40-0079 returns to Romania after beeing bought by Vest Trans Rail.

The locomotive retrieves its initial technical state and registration number and gets a new livery from its current owner. It's back in regular service before the end of the year .

Latest update on the 7th of August 2020 at 16:44

Contributor(s): Tudor C.

Do you have additional informations regarding this railway vehicle?

Add content

Report an error?

Discussion forum